Get The Most Out Of Your Film With These Stretch Film Best Practices
Did you know 1 oz of extra stretch film per pallet at a facility wrapping 1,500 loads per evening is worth $31,200.00 per year?
Would your operators know if they were using an extra 1 oz of film on a pallet?
An extra 8 oz at the same facility would be $250,000.00 per year!
The costs can add up fast – and that’s just film costs! What about pallet load damage and productivity losses due to film that is not used properly?
Companies are best served when they developed a stretch film procurement solution to understand the properties of the film they use, their distribution channel, and the forces necessary to deliver their loads successfully.
Best Packaging has created stretch film procurement ‘best practices’ to meet these goals and provide a consistent result that can be created, tested, repeated and maintained.
- Best Packaging Inc. can be hired as a consultant to EVALUATE the film. We will perform several tests to determine results such as the ultimate stretch, film puncture resistance and the amount of ‘cling’ in the stretch film.
- We will assess the best way to apply the film based on the different types of products that are wrapped and establish the type of containment necessary.
- Once we UNDERSTAND how to achieve the best results, we will go back to the plant and CREATE the ideal wrapped load by selecting a few films that meet the criteria most important to your operations.
- After the load is recreated, we will perform a TEST for effectiveness. Doing so will allow our techs to set a standard based on how the load wraps on the production floor to ensure the proper containment and the proper amount of film.
Gone are the days where we standardize the film. Instead, standardizing the result will ensure the product arrives to the end user without damage in the most productive and cost-effective method possible.
- The last step in this best practices project would be to train maintenance and operators how to visually MONITOR the standard. Best Packaging can be hired to maintain and upgrade this standard. There should also be supervisor in charge of each shift assigned to monitor the standard at selected intervals.
Because stretch film is usually marketed using only a few specifications, it is easy for procurement departments to believe they are getting a good value at a lower cost. However, Best Packaging has the tools and expertise to ensure your company is getting the most value and production from your stretch film purchases while guaranteeing that your products arrive damage-free. If you’ are currently wrapping products with stretch film and want to ensure you are getting the maximum yield, give us a call at (888) 930 BEST.
What’s your take? We welcome guest bloggers! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d ever like to collaborate.