How To Perform Your Own Stretch Test
Looking for a fast and easy way to check your stretch levels on a pallet?
All you need is a business card and tape measure…
- Once a pallet has been wrapped, separate a layer of the stretch film from the load.
- Take a business card and hold it against the stretch film on the pallet.
- Grab the top edge of the film and place your hands apart, based on the length of the business card so that your hands are on both ends of the card.
- Pull the stretch film slowly. Measure the length of the stretched film using a tape measure before it rips apart.
- Once you have the distance between the film break, use the information below to determine the stretch level*.
5″ = 280% stretch
6″= 250% stretch
7″= 220% stretch
8″= 190% stretch
9″= 160% stretch
10″= 130% stretch
11″= 100% stretch
Why is this important?
- Figuring out how much stretch your films has can mean the difference between spending double for the same amount of film or saving money by consuming less film per pallet. According to your calculations, if you are stretching less than 200%, you should should have us check your machine and film.
- If you don’t know how much your machines are stretching the film or how much you are paying per load, give us a call. We can perform a machine audit and provide a report on your machine performance, film cost, and recommend solutions to bring your costs down. A small investment in testing could save you a lot! (888) 930-BEST
*Disclaimer: All calculations are an estimate and do not guarantee 100% accuracy. It is the responsibility of the customer to establish practical testing based on their applications. Best Packaging Inc. is not responsible for the consequences of any decisions or actions taken in reliance upon or as a result of the information provided by these calculations.